EDMO establishes a taskforce on disinformation about the war in Ukraine
A new taskforce will steer and collect material to help understand disinformation trends in the war in Ukraine
The taskforce will focus on disinformation in EU and EEA countries, as well as the western Balkans, collecting and sorting relevant material covering various aspects such as fact-checking, investigations, rapid analysis, and research on disinformation campaigns, as well as specific media literacy initiatives. The taskforce also aims to identify relevant datasets needed to understand the disinformation campaigns.
EDMO has already published a regularly updated list of fact-checking articles regarding the war.
Collected materials can also inform policymakers, including the European Commission, to help understand the disinformation phenomenon and contribute to an evidence-based decision-making process on the war in Ukraine.
“The EDMO taskforce will aim at maximising the impact of the good work being done already by independent actors across Europe by gathering, cataloguing, and sharing fact-checked information, as well as analysing and investigating disinformation narratives and campaigns. Quickly identifying and understanding disinformation trends in the current crisis helps to foster societal resilience and inform policymaking,” said taskforce Chair Claire Wardle, Executive Director of First Draft.
The taskforce members will collaborate with the national and regional EDMO hubs , with the small-scale online media projects and with relevant actors across Europe.
Composition of the task force on 4 March:
Chair: Claire Wardle | Brown University and FirstDraft
- Alexandre Alaphilippe | EU Disinfo Lab
- Alina Bargaoanu | National University of Political Studies and Public Administration of Romania
- Anja Bechmann | Aarhus University
- Kalina Bontcheva | University of Sheffield
- Tommaso Canetta | Pagella Politica
- Dominika Hajdu | GlobSec
- Rasmus Kleis Nielsen | Reuters Institute – Oxford University
- Sonia Livingstone | London School of Economics and Political Science
- Gianni Riotta | Luiss University
- Renate Schroeder | European Federation of Journalists
- Jochen Spangenberg | Deutsche Welle
- Rebekah Tromble | George Washington University